Titel:

Prevalence of vitamin B-12 deficiency and its relation to macrocytic anemia in an undiagnosed patient population (n=161,548) in the Rotterdam Area, the Netherlands

Plattel & Brito et al 2016 

Introduction:

Vitamin B12 deficiency is known as an elderly disease. Macrocytic anemia is commonly used as a diagnostic criterion for B-12 deficiency.

Method:

I. Prevalence of low (serum B12 <148 pmol/L) and low-normal B12 status (148-221 pmol/L) was calculated from data collected at Star-MDC (2010-2013) in a undiagnosed patient population (Rotterdam NL, n=161,548).

II. Macrocytic anemia (MCV>100 fL; Hb<7.5 mmol/L women, Hb<8.5 men) was assessed in relation to low B12 and low serum folate (<6.8 nmol/L) in a subsample of 59,231 individuals.

Results:

I. High prevalence of low and low-normal B-12 was found in the overall population (24.3% and 34.3%, respectively, total=58.6%) and was consistently high between genders and across years of collection. Children ≤10y presented a lower prevalence (p<0.0001) of low and low-normal B-12 (11.6%) than adolescents (10-20y, 50.8%), adults (20-65y, 58.7%) and the elderly (>65y, 60.2%).

II. The overall subsample presented 24.7% low B-12, 8.1% low folate, 22.2% anemia and 3.7% macrocytosis, 1.3% macrocytic anemia. When B-12 was low (p<0.0001) only 1.9% presented macrocytic anemia vs.15.6% when folate was low. Categories of low and normal B-12 with low folate presented higher prevalence (p<0.0001) of macrocytic anemia (4.65% and 2.73%, respectively) than those with normal folate (1.43% and 0.96%).

Conclusions:

Low and low-normal B12 were highly prevalent across age groups. Macrocytic anemia was low and was mainly explained by low folate. This suggests that B-12 deficiency is not limited to the elderly and that macrocytic anemia is a poor indicator of B12 and folate deficiency.

[The abstract is presented during a oral presentation by Clara Plattel during The International Vitamin Conference / Copenhagen May 2016, hosted by the University of Copenhagen and Aarhus]

Results

I

II

 

 

 

 


X

Beleid B12 Institute naar aanleiding aangescherpte COVID-19 maatregelen

  1. Uw reis naar het B12 institute is noodzakelijke zorg, uw afspraak kan gewoon gecontinueerd worden.
  2. Zeg uw afspraak af, of laat omzetten naar telefonische / beeldbel intake -herhaalconsult als u klachten heeft!
  3. MONDKAPJES zijn bij ons verplicht. Doe deze al op voordat u het pand binnen gaat en de lift instapt.
  4. Houd alstublieft 1,5 afstand bij andere patiënten dan wel onze assistenten en de arts.
  5. Bij de arts kunt u het mondkapje veilig afzetten, tussen u en de arts zit 1,5 mtr ruimte en plexiglas te bescherming van de arts en uzelf.
  6. Als het noodzakelijk is dat u lichamelijk wordt onderzocht, zal de arts zich inpakken middels mondmasker en kap, handschoenen etc. Er wordt dan van u gevraagd tijdens het lichamelijke onderzoek veilig uw mondmasker op te zetten.
  7. Na elk consult worden de tafels in de dokterskamer schoongemaakt.

Dit beleid is al maanden bij ons van kracht en is wellicht strenger dan in andere ziekenhuizen, zeker wat betreft het gebruik van mondkapjes.

Hoewel geen heilige graal, het bewijs van de werking van mondkapjes is allang aangetoond. Wij vinden het onbegrijpelijk dat de mondkapjes-plicht, naast de 1,5 meter regel, niet méér wordt ingezet en gebruikt om de verspreiding van het virus te verminderen, zeker op plekken waar het druk is.

Ook is er al maanden duidelijk bewijs dat er besmettingen plaatsvinden VOORDAT de patient klachten heeft. Hierbij helpen mondkapjes naast de 1,5 meter maatregel.

Mondkapjes werken wel degelijk

Bewijs pre-symptomatische besmettingsoverdracht

Uitleg in Nederlands